Carey Nieuwhof has posted some interesting thoughts on ways to assess the helpfulness of sermons. He offers the following two criteria.
Content can be helpful if it:
- Brings a 'new' truth (didn't know that) or discarded truth to light.
- Brings a fresh angle to a truth and makes people see God in a fresh light.
- Reminds people of a truth they know, affirming or correcting their direction.
- Shows the relevance of truth in current culture and life.
Application is helpful if it:
You can read his entire post here.
- Provides a practical step or steps people can follow to put it into practice in the next 24 hours.
- Shifts thinking deeply enough that people can't think of things in the same way again (paradigm shifting).
- Shows how a particular truth will change how we live in our time and culture.