Keith Mathison Ligonier Ministries has a list and discussion of his top five commentaries on Isaiah at the Ligonier Ministries blog. Creating a list for Isaiah is complicated by the debates concerning Isianic authorship and unity (both of which I affirm) and whether one is willing to accept commentaries that do not hold these more conservative conclusions. Having said that I have little difficulty in accepting Motyer, Oswalt, and Young in the top five. I am less certain about the merits of Mackay (which I have not used) and Webb. It seems to me that commentaries by Gary V. Smith (1–39, NAC), Blenkinsopp (AB), and Childs (OTL) are more deserving in the top five.
I would also add H. G. M. Williamson (ICC), J. D. W. Watts (Word), and Wildberger (Continental)to the runners-up. In any case, the top five Mathison listed are:
1. J. Alec Motyer -- The Prophecy of Isaiah: An Introduction & Commentary
2. John Oswalt -- The Book of Isaiah, Chapters 1-39, The Book of Isaiah: Chapters 40-66
3. Edward J. Young -- The Book of Isaiah (New International Commentary on the Old Testament, 1965, 1969, 1972).
4. John L. Mackay -- Isaiah 1-39 (EP Study Commentary, 2008).
5. Barry Webb -- The Message of Isaiah (The Bible Speaks Today, 1997).
Post a Comment