The material in the books that are identified as wisdom (e.g., Prov) tends to be be characterized by the following.
- Literature that is related to the Hebrew root hkm (~kx). This root occurs over 180x in Job, Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes (or about 55% of all the occurrences in the OT).
- Literature that is concerned with the basic issues of life.
- Literature than prefers the experiential (what happens).
- Literature that is universal (transcends ethnic lines).
- Literature that emphasizes the rule rather than the exceptions.
- Literature where the theology is generally more implicit than explicit.
Post a Comment