Aug 21, 2008
Top Five Commentaries in 1-2 Kings
Ligonier Ministries has a list and discussion of their top five commentaries on 1-2 Kings.The list is good. However, I would not have Davis at number one and Walsh (1 Kgs) and Cohn (2 Kgs) both in the Berit Olam series belong in the top five. A recent work by Marvin Sweeney (OTL) looks promising, but I have not really interacted with it. To the runners-up list I would add Patterson and Austel (EBC). In any case, the top five Keith Mathison has listed are:
1. Dale Ralph Davis -- 1 Kings, 2 Kings (Focus on the Bible, 2002, 2005).
2. Paul R. House -- 1, 2 Kings (New American Commentary, 1995).
3. Iain W. Provan. -- 1 and 2 Kings (New International Biblical Commentary, 1995).
4. Donald J. Wiseman -- 1 & 2 Kings (Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries, 1993).
5. Mordechai Cogan (and Hayim Tadmor) -- 1 Kings, 2 Kings (Anchor Yale Bible Commentaries, 2001, 1988).