Aug 17, 2008
Top Five Commentaries on 1-2 Samuel
Ligonier Ministries has a list and discussion of their top five commentaries on 1-2 Samuel.The list is good. However, I would replace Davis with either Bergen or Robert Gordon in the first slot and one probably needs to have McCarter in the top five. I have not personally worked through much of Tsumura, but what I have used has been solid. I would also suggest that Fokklemann and Hertzberg (OTL) deserve a place among the runners-up list. In any case, the top five they have listed are:
1. Dale Ralph Davis -- 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel (Focus on the Bible, 2000, 2002).
2. David T. Tsumura -- The First Book of Samuel (New International Commentary on the Old Testament, 2007).
3. Ronald F. Youngblood. -- "1 & 2 Samuel" (Expositor's Bible Commentary, 1984).
4. Joyce Baldwin -- 1 & 2 Samuel (Tyndale Old Testament Commentaries, 1988).
5. Bill T. Arnold -- 1 & 2 Samuel (NIV Application Commentary, 2003).