I suggest that there are at least five ways that the Transfiguration was significant.
- The Transfiguration unveiled for a moment the true glory and majesty of Jesus
- The appearance of Moses and Elijah at the Transfiguration ties the life ministry of Jesus to the Old Testament (the Law and the Prophets) and echoes the the manifestation of God at Mt. Sinai
- The Transfiguration provides a context for the Father’s affirmation of the Son (v. 7; cf 1:11)
- The Transfiguration is a call to obedience: "Listen to him" (v. 7b)
- The Transfigurationties the life and ministry of Jesus to His passion (vv. 9-10)