Even a casual reading of Exodus suggests that the Tabernacle plays an important part of the book. Nearly a third of the book relates either to instructions related to its construction or to the construction itself and the pivotal golden calf incident which occurs between the instruction and construction shows why the Tabernacle was needed. The significance of the Tabernacle is also evident by comparing it to other important events in Exodus.
· The birth of Moses – 1 chapter
· The call of Moses – 2 chapters
· The ten plagues – 6 chapters
· The crossing of the Red [Reed] Sea – 2 chapters
· The Ten Commandments and Law – 6 chapters
· The Tabernacle – 13 chapters