- Local Goddess (Ashtoreth, Asherah, Astarte)
- A human female figure
- Biblical “Teraphim” (idols or household gods)?
- Religious/Cultic (in private homes, mostly by women) – As part of the official religion or as idol worship
- For fertility and birth
- Apotropaic talismans against the evil eye
- Broke Naturally
- Were broken intentionally as part of the ritual
- Were broken as part of the religious reforms of kings Hezekiah and Josiah (2 Kgs 23; 2 Chr 34)
Here is a picture of two styles of figurines from the Biblical Archaeology Society.